Background:The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC works with people forced to flee from war, conflict and disaster and the host communities that support them, as well as with those who remain within their homes and communities. At-work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. IRC reaches over a million children annually with education and child protection programs in 25 countries around the world.In December 2017, Sesame Workshop and the IRC were awarded the MacArthur Foundation’s inaugural 100&Change grant to make real progress toward solving a critical problem of our time. With the extraordinary investment of $100 million, our partnership will transform the language, early reading, math, and social-emotional skills of a generation of children ages 0-8 affected by the Syrian war. Focusing on children in Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria over the next five years, the inclusive plan combines the depth of in-person services, reaching 1.5 million children, with the breadth of mass media, reaching 9.4 million children.
Scope of work:
Reporting to the Regional Senior MEL Manager, the Regional Information Management (IM) officer will support the senior manager on overseeing the Ahlan Simsim information management system including data collection, data cleaning, data quality checks, reporting of results, and learning meetings. The Regional Information Management officer will support in maintaining and improving the Ahlan Simsim project’s IM system for IRC as well as Ahlan Simsim partners and will also contribute to capacity building of country-level monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and IM staff.
Maintain and Improve Ahlan Simsim information management system including partners
- Create Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) or other appropriate solutions to automate pulling in data from Ahlan Simsim country level to regional level for reporting (creating tools/scripts for importing data from Commcare or Ona to automatically populate google sheets reporting tool and feed into PowerBI dashboards).
- Create a regional database for all Ahlan Simsim raw data using SQL, Talend, and/or similar software.
- Maintain and update Ahlan Simsim reporting tools (google sheets).
- Work with the Regional Senior GIS and Information Analysis manager to update and maintain Ahlan Simsim regional PowerBI dashboard as needed (to adjust visuals, fix errors, add or remove and update indicators).
- Troubleshoot and figure out how to solve any problems that arise in Ahlan Simsim regional information management system, to ensure the system runs smoothly.
- Coordinate with regional and country-level M&E and IM staff who are working on Ahlan Simsim and support them as needed to ensure all IM systems are functioning well.
- Import data and/or help coordinate pulling in data from digital products in use by Ahlan Simsim teams such as facilitator App, Whatsapp messaging platforms, etc. into regional and country-level PowerBI dashboards.
Data quality checks
- Work with Ahlan Simsim country teams to finalize data quality assessment manuals and procedures to ensure that data quality checks are regularly implemented at country level, and any issues identified are corrected in country and regional databases.
- Conduct systematic checks through automated and manual review of monitoring data submitted by Ahlan Simsim country teams each month and follow up with country teams to resolve any issues identified in a timely manner.
- Escalate issues to the Regional Senior Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Manager as needed.
- Advise country teams on country-level information management systems
- Work with country teams from IRC’s Jordan, Iraq, Lebanon, Northeast Syria, Northwest Syria offices, and partners to map data flows (from point of data collection to reporting data into regional system), identify places where data flows can be made more efficient.
- Work with country teams to standardize their M&E tools and databases as needed in order to feed into a regional system.
- Help country teams as needed to solve any issues that arise with country-level information management systems (especially issues with data collection tools such as Ona and Commcare).
- Coordinate best practices of sharing data collection and cleaning processes across country and regional IM staff.
Data analysis, reporting, and learning
- Provide quick analysis of data at regional level as needed for regional learning meetings, donor reports, and ad hoc requests leveraging scripts and PowerBI reporting tools.
- Create and finalize reporting numbers in tables, graphs, and other graphics as needed for bi-annual donor reports in Excel and PowerBI.
- Design data visualizations to help a variety of audiences understand program monitoring data and support the Ahlan Simsim Learning Agenda.
Staff capacity building
- Train Ahlan Simsim country teams to use information management tools and system as needed.
- Inform Ahlan Simsim country teams when revisions are made to the information management system.
- Train new staff members in softwares such as Commcare and Ona as needed to perform their job functions.
- Liaise with the staff for each country to compile and analyze country data, providing mentorship to country M&E and IM staff as needed, to enable them to lead data cleaning, analysis ,and reporting at the country level.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Regional Senior Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Manager, Ahlan SimsimPosition directly supervises: NAIndirect Reporting: Other Internal and/or external contacts: Internal: The position closely works with the ECD Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning and Information Management Staff from Ahlan Simsim’s five countries of operation (Jordan, Iraq, Lebanon, Northeast Syria, and Northwest Syria), and will also work with other information management staff from IRC regional and country offices.
- Bachelor’s degree Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or related field.
- Certification or specific training in Computer Science and/or Data Management.
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience in the area of computer science, database management, and/or information management.
- Excellent programming skills and experience working with a variety of data collection, management, analysis and reporting platforms: google sheets, SQL, Excel, PowerBI, Talend, Commcare, Ona, and/or other similar softwares for data collection, management, and visualization.
- Ability to identify and establish information database requirements and to extract/analyze data from databases
- Ability to communicate information management problems and solutions to a variety of technical and non-technical teams.
- Ability to coordinate and work with multiple team members in different countries.
- Proactive and solution-oriented.
- Ability to work in a diverse team both in office environment and remotely.
- Fluent in Arabic and English (written and spoken).
- INGO experience.
- Experience working with Information management systems for Monitoring and Evaluation purposes.
- Experience with use of Stata for data analysis.
- Experience building the capacity of teams.
- Working Environment:
- The position is based in Amman, and may include some travel to Lebanon, Iraq, or Northeast Syria.
WOMEN OF ALL BACKGROUNDS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
- Job Location
- Amman, Jordan
- Company Industry
- Non-profit Organization
- Company Type
- Non-Profit Organization
- Job Role
- Employment Type
- Full Time Employee
- Monthly Salary Range
- Number of Vacancies
- Career Level
- Mid Career
- Years of Experience
- Min: 2
- Residence Location
- Bachelor’s degree / higher diploma